ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)

Long walk into the town for dry goods and grocery.  Decided to add milk to the list -- 7L of the white stuff can rather dramatically increase the weight of the ruck.  There was an old Soviet story about a very highly placed official in Moscow who was on edge every autumn until he had 100 kilos of potatoes safely in his basement.  The human spirit still lives by these cycles -- witness the LDS prescription to always have a year of food on hand.  Invisible depndencies -- you are otherwise reliant on certain things for life itself.  Along the same lines, I have a personal rule to always have at least one pair of shoes/boots that could see me safely across a continent, should the need arise.  No need to take on the cult of the "prepper" for doomsday, just try to preserve a basic capacity to survive the unexpected.  Some life comes from that.  I always try to have at least a fortnight of supplies on hand before vanishing into the books.

Sampled one of the famous roadside/trailside running fountains for the first time on the way back.  The lore says to observe the locals, and go to the ones that they go to, and I've frequently seen cars stop for this one, so I tried it.  Bit too much of the agriculture of the field for my taste, but perhaps that's a function of streams running low.  Will have to try some others.

With the third supply run accomplished (rucking this stuff from town is no small matter) and the environmental hazards of the place seemingly sufficiently evaporated/blocked off ( I heard a roto-rooter going in a nearby unit yesterday, perhaps I was smelling the accumulated chemical attempts at clearing something).  At any rate, went from unbreathable air at the beginning to unnoticeable  now, so there's less concern for the coming days.  In retrospect, I should have been more cautious -- stayed out on the small balcony as much as possible, but sitting next to the window in a room with a sort of background chemical scent for a few days hopefully won't have done too much damage.

The fatigue this morning was odd -- but I do need to reverse the tendency to take the indicated rest, something I (wisely) indulged in rather freely for the first week or two here in the mountains.  Only wakefulness will wake us up and keep us awake.  I wake by awakening.