ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)
Feast of the Assumption.  Which in my private experience is inextricably linked with finding my first apartment at the masters conservatory in Cleveland.  On principle, exactly as I was to do later in NYC, I didn't rent an apartment before I arrived.  (Such things were possible then -- I doubt that they would be possible now.) The neighborhood next to the university was the old Little Italy -- one of the largest in the country, very old school. (Minnestrone soup was invented a few blocks away.)  There was a carnival on the church grounds.  I asked the folks selling raffle tickets if they knew of any apartments for rent in the area.  They pointed me towards the rectory.  I knocked, and a staffer answered, vanished for a moment, and came back with a typewritten list.  Within hours, I had found the place.

It's my belief that in spiritually important things we shouldn't expect that everything will happen of its own accord.  Everything will fall into place, yes, but we will have to venture there, and ask.  This might be part of the reason that we do spiritual exercises in the everyday world.  This venturing and asking might prove more difficult than it seems.