ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)

Local jazz festival underway.  Wandered down to the mainstage, knowing very little about Bulgarian jazz.  Interesting band, interesting singers.  Perhaps just the act that I caught, but it seemed to be more about standards than the sort of experimental vibe that seems to be part of the tradition in Poland/Serbia (I happened to look through a recent history of Balkan jazz at the Lincoln Center library before I left, and I've found a few Balkan state jazz groups/esembles on Youtube, but that's about it.  Basically clueless.)  Very few solos, and the solos kept close to the melody.  Capapble sidemen.

The old-school standards/songbook vibe was interesting.  Balkan jazz works for the same reason that the Macbeth in Belgrade was so effective -- when the actual shadows in the culture are this intense, the art form expresses something almost primal.  The gentlemen of the syndicate.  And the music.

There's a Turkish-inflected jam going on at a restaurant within earshot as I write this -- that proximity has a lot to do with the culture here, I think.  Green over red.  Alongside the loyalty to the Orthodox to the east who helped them get free of the Sublime Porte and governance by distant purchased firman, there's also a certain sympathy of cultures, a certain cunning.  (cf. "What do you suppose he meant by that?")  

Southern Europe.  Borderlands.