I don't have wants. I set objectives that will help me to accomplish things. The happiness is from the totality, not the particular circumstance, but it is good to make as many particular circumstances as transparent to that happiness from the totality as possible.
The different view is largely a creature of people trying to sell things.
But in working to achieve the objectives, it can seem that these objectives are desires. A misleading appearance. If you were to sop me on the street and somehow hypnotize me and demand of the most remote reaches of my subconscious what I really wanted at the present time, it would likely be on the order of a slice of pizza, a cup of coffee, or a decent used paperback book. But that's because of the nature of desire. I tend not to associate happiness with the object, or even the objective. That can be dangerous in a prosperous society.
We have a rational mind, but it is up to us as to whether it will govern the beast, or a more Humean sensibility will govern the relationship.