ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)

CV casting upon the waters continues.  Nary a one has floated back, let alone with a scrawled reply.  I had a burst of replies at one point earlier in the year, when things were extraordinarily difficult, and followed up with all of them, and promptly never heard from any of them again.  Which was odd.

I'd say it's a fair bet that much of this has to do with the corrupt folks who seemed to gravitate towards me -- I played by the rules and did my best work, which was usually ignored amid much talk of networking and cultivating relationships so one can have a career.  Humbug.

But a path to a basic way of life and work does need to arise somehow.  If I keep working and thinking in the Christminster in my mind, I'll be off to the asylum long before I'm able to accomplish anything worthwhile.

The work is at hand.  And this will sound odd, but I need to recover the person capable of doing it. And though I do mention it often, it is about restoring the mind and body from last winter (even as the evening chills of the impending one begin to intrude on the velvet late-summer in the Balkans).  Hence the mountaintops and the reading Hegelian philosophy amid the cries of the muezzin.  (Which in the old city here are sometimes quite cacophonous.  Putting the din in the din and devlet.)  

Nice line by Tolkein in the Times books section from a couple of weeks ago (still mulling whether I should re-up with the TLS, or if that would draw me into the web rabbit-holes -- the only reason I subscribe to the Times at one pound per month is that there's a facsimile of the print paper available for the efficient mornings); Tolkein was wandering the colleges during an electrical blackout in his quasi-retirement, musing that "e" meant out from it, and "meritus" meant deservedly so.