ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)

Apparently, the pumpkin spice lattes have returned to Romanian Starbucks, perhaps the monoculture equivalent of the new beaujolais.  (And, as it's entirely artificial, it can be rolled out much earlier in answer to demand, not being tied to the pesky material reality of maturing wine.)  The Sbux there are a huge status symbol, apparently.  More expensive than midtown NYC, so I usually go to the local chains.  Contrastingly, the ones on the western (Eastern) part of the peninsula are much more reasonably priced and less crowded.  I apply the same logic to coffeehouses as I do to vegetable markets -- very scenic and an enjoyable atmosphere, but difficult for an outsider to determine which of the vegetables weren't grown with incredibly noxious chemicals.  Hence, I tend to trust the German supermarkets, on the theory that they're doing some supply-chain oversight.  And make my own Balkan coffee to enjoy in a thermos in the park.

McDonalds initially thrived in the US because it was the only place a traveller wasn't at the mercy of unknown kitchens in strange cities.  The ethic of hospitality runs deep here, but given the unknown hygiene of back-room kitchens and all of the political anger about, I tend to bring my own food on the journey.