ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)

One element missing from the usual kit: waterproof windbreaker.  Will have to source one locally, along with the Quest for a Proper Travel Alarm.  

The setup in present Humble Quarters is a bit more comfortable than the last two, as cheap proximity to mountains was guiding those choices.  Still quite economical -- dramatically so, compared to US apartments, but a conscious decision to put myself into the center of a bit of civilization after the rough bits.  There's a reason that James Bond goes to a proper restaurant after slogging through the mud all day.  Completely apart from civilization, I could make an ideal Rousseau-like existence, given sufficient books and a properly set up room, but on the fringes, especially in Southern Europe, it's impossible to stand entirely apart from things.  So I read Henry James.  The λεγειν.

When I was slogging through the graduate work in the Midwest, one of the interminable number of electronic assignments that I was told to grade was a short film  project made by the students.  I caught glimpses of the workspaces of the students (this was before the pandemic, when these spaces became public spaces).  I was very surprised to see that almost invariably, their working desk or table faced the wall.  At first, I thought this might have to do with Asian culture, but it proved to be general.  As someone constitutionally incapable of functioning when staring at a proximate wall, I was very surprised, and even thought about mentioning the possible repositioning of workspaces in one of the group emails.

Similarly, when I had a day job developing and then editing a theatre website in the city in the early Aughts, during office setup, I was given carte blanche as to size and style of desk, within the inventory of the used office furniture store.  The other full-time employee, more natively a tech fellow, while I was more subject-matter expert and content, elected a large conventional desk and overstuffed chairs around it.  (The concept comes from bank practice of standing behind something so that only the top part of the body is visible, through the Portuguese banca.)  They were quite surprised that I insisted on two tables, one large, one small, a desk chair that was actually a chair, and two guest chairs.  Of course, tables became the standard tech office furniture within the decade, most famously at Amazon, with the legendary door-table, an old door propped up at the four corners.

The old Russian practice of extending the center of the desk with a second, orthogonal table surrounded by chairs has some merit to it.  There's an interesting production of a Serbian piece at JDP about an industrial operation in the days of state socialism, where at lights up, you see the desk of authority center stage, while off to the side is the table that had clearly been built as an extension to the center of the desk, (metatheatrically, as it fit the rake of the stage), while the guests and collaborators in the office were relegated now to a distant couch.

The present Humble Quarters, although absolutely ideal for my purposes in many respects, has the one flaw that all of the surfaces that I might use for work are bound to walls.  So I turn the chair around and face the window, and use the laptop just as I used it in the last apartment, when there was only a deck-chair and a small patio table in the room.  

If I can set up what I need, and how I work, it's been my experience that I can do rather useful things.  But both the things that I do and the setup that I do them in are usually at odds with what those around think would be the best things to do and the best setup with which to do them.  I know what I'm about.  One of my chiefest difficulties has been that others have invariably seemed to think that they had better ideas on the subject.