As a general rule, I try to avoid politically contested ground, several species of which, this being the Balkans, are close at hand. Not necessarily because of the occasional missile attacks or subsequent passport difficulties, but because the conflict clouds my own status there, and a visitor changes the calculus of any contest.
Religiously contested ground within a stable political order is another question. Religion has both its political aspect (re-ligare) and its personal aspect. In its political aspect, it is subordinated to ethnic or political identity. A culture may be based in faith, but exists first in itself and as itself.
More concretely, in the personal aspect, if you think of faith as a sort of ladder that each person carries around with them, it's a bit of a reach to think that sabotaging other people's ladders is a thing. Also, if you look closely at the worn spots in the wood, you can tell which ladders have been used, and which are just for ornament. And then there's the matter of all of those folks walking around without ladders, even for use in their own homes.
I've honestly worked, attempting to do three different things, and encountered some rather peculiar difficulties in my own country and among my own folks. At the moment, I'm a bit far away from my usual haunts, but I have to assume that there is a purpose to that, which is to say, the forces that have brought me to these places are associated with concomitant forces to which I also bear relation, and can encounter. Watchmen of the house of God, not partisans of its factions.