ephemera

defrydrychowski.wordpress.com -- ephemera


(a microblog: notes, queries, and whatnot)

Oxbridge evening choral services starting up for Michaelmas term -- happened into a compline tonight after the Mozart in Hamburg.  So, if I do go completely mad in the coming weeks and months, at least it will be to the accompaniment of plainsong and fauxbourdon. 

I'm surprised that whatever chapel I happen to eavesdrop on in the evening, I'm invariably one of a dozen or so listeners. (Back in the city, usually at a table in the library in mid-afternoon.) YouTube seems to be vastly underutilized for the sorts of things that it should be used for.  I'm invariably working on other things at the time, but I almost always stop for a bit and listen.  Christminster and evensong.

Perhaps the travel, but I find myself living life naturalistically, simply making it a point to live as one lives.  Life itself vanishes after too much of that.  Our understanding of life is simply a collection of facile aphorisms and axioms to make ourselves feel in command of things.  "It's life's illusions I recall -- I really didn't know life at all."

Manet nobiscum, Domine, quoniam advesperacit.